The .NET Framework is Microsoft's platform for building applications that have visually stunning user experiences, seamless and secure communication, and the ability to model a range of business processes.
The .Net Framework consists of:
- Common Language Runtime ??? provides an abstraction layer over the operating system
- Base Class Libraries ??? pre-built code for common low-level programming tasks
- Development frameworks and technologies ??? reusable, customizable solutions for larger programming tasks.
By providing you with a comprehensive and consistent programming model and a common set of APIs, the .NET Framework helps you to build applications that work the way you want, in the programming language you prefer, across software, services, and devices.
The .NET Framework allows you to:
- Apply common skills across a variety of devices, application types, and programming tasks.
- Integrate with other tools and technologies to build the right solution with less work.
- Build compelling applications faster